Distinguishing Features of the Class and Role of Custodian
This is routine manual work involving responsibility for the efficient and economical performance of semi-skilled cleaning and maintenance tasks for municipal buildings, grounds, and equipment. Work is performed under the general supervision of a superior in accordance with established policies, but considerable leeway is permitted for the exercise of independent judgment. General supervision may be exercised over the work of subordinate cleaning or maintenance personnel. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities and Expectations of Custodian
- Paints rooms and equipment, repairs furniture and makes minor plumbing, electrical and carpentry repairs;
- Requires painting of entire rooms,
- Climbing ladders,
- Hanging white boards
- Removal of black boards
- Sweeps and mops floors and stairs;
- Requires use of back pack vacuums,
- Use of auto scrubbers
- Use of floor buffers
- Dusts desks, woodwork, furniture and other equipment;
- Requires operation and utilization of a Genie for dusting and cleaning higher surfaces
- Moving large pieces of furniture and equipment
- Washes windows, walls, blackboards, sinks and other fixtures;
- Requires use of ladder
- Ability to carry large quantities of cleaning products
- Polishes furniture and metal furnishings;
- Required to Strip and seal floors
- Removal and replacement of all furniture in rooms during refinishing
- Empties waste baskets, collects and disposes of rubbish;
- Responsible for carrying bags of rubbish up and down several flights of stairs
- Must be able to dispose of large/heavy pieces of rubbish into a dumpster
- Clears snow and ice from walks and driveways;
- Requires the ability to use large snow blower
- Shoveling snow of off walkways and roof top and other locations as necessary
- Mows lawns, trims shrubs, rakes leaves, and performs a variety of other grounds keeping tasks;
- Requires use of manual clippers and gas powered equipment
- Use both push and riding mower
- Delivers packages and messages;
- Requires lifting and carrying heavy items (upstairs included)
- Checks operation of clocks and bells;
- Need to climb ladder (up to 12 feet in height)
- Puts out and takes in traffic safety signs;
- Requires moving and carrying traffic cones to wherever is needed on district property
- Arranges chairs and tables and other equipment for special use of buildings;
- Requires break down and set up long
- Stacking and moving of chairs and risers
- Move several pieces of furniture to the correct design
- Repairs window shades, replaces light bulbs, soap and towels;
- Requires using a ladder (up to 12 ft)
- Must be able to use equipment/ change bulbs while on a ladder
- When assigned to night or weekend duty, polices buildings and boiler rooms;
- Requires the ability to monitor all parts of a building, including stairwells, basements and top floors as needed.
- Good knowledge of building cleaning practices,
- supplies and equipment;
- working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of steam boiler equipment;
- ability to use supplies and equipment efficiently;
- ability to make minor plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and mechanical repairs and to perform a variety of routine maintenance tasks;
- physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of records and reports;
- Performs a variety of related tasks as required.
Full Performance Knowledges, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics and Key Qualities of Senior Custodian:
- Good knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies, and equipment;
- Good knowledge of the operation of low-pressure boilers and auxiliary equipment;
- Ability to plan and lay out work;
- Ability to supervise the work of others;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
NOTE: The essential functions of this job are determined by the department/jurisdiction where the job is located.
This position is a provisional civil service appointment and applicant must meet civil service requirements including residency in Schenectady County. Successful candidates are required to take civil service exam when offered.
Civil Service Qualifications
(A) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma; OR
(B) Six months experience in building maintenance or cleaning, carpentry, plumbing, painting, or other trades work.
About Schenectady City Schools
With a population of nearly 10,000 students, the Schenectady City School District is one of the largest in the Capital Region. With an incredibly diverse population we are committed to ensuring that all children feel valued, are safe and will learn. We place the highest priority on a culture of equity, ensuring that race, economics, and disability are never predictors of student achievement. Every child in our district counts and will be supported each step of the way, along the path to graduation.